How to prepare for the Ayahuasca ceremony
Different Ayahuasca treatment centers give different advices on how to diet before and after the ceremony. It is not necessary to follow rules of other centers when you go to Feather Crown. We recommend to prepare in a following way:
Preparatory diet before the ceremony
- Three days prior to the ceremony, please abstain from eating pork, drinking alcohol and taking any mind-altering plants or substances (including cannabis).
- Prefer low salt and healthy foods, ideally vegetables and fruits.
- The day of the ritual, please abstain from eating meat and heavy fatty or salty foods. Have only light lunch. Post-diet, which is important for the healing to successfully finish, will be prescribed by the shaman after the ritual before leaving the space.
- Please do not use chemical perfumes, deodorants, body sprays or insecticides 12 hours before the ritual.
- Abstain from sexual intercourse (with or without partner) for at least 3 days before the ritual
Things to bring
- Long-sleeved clothing, including socks
- Fleece jacket / light sweater / poncho
- Umbrella / rain jacket
- Head protection against sun
- Flashlight with new batteries
- Pencil and paper
- A toilet paper or paper towels for your personal use
- Backup clothing
- Camera / Video camera / Voice recorder (optional)
- Towel, soap, toothbrush etc.
If you suffer from any disease or take any medicines, you absolutely need to inform us, as some medicines can be contraindicated with the sacred plant medicine. Participating in our ceremony if you suffer from weak heart, a mental illness and certain other illnesses may be dangerous or even life-threatening.
Medications and supplements
The participants are not allowed to take any other medicines or supplements, including the natural ones, except for anti-malarial medication and birth control, for the duration of the event, unless permitted by the organizer. If you are taking any medications or supplements that are prescribed by a doctor, you will need to consult your doctor about weaning you off them in time for them to completely clear out of your system before your visit.
Health conditions and risks
Our events are held on places which are not medical facilities and we are not equipped to handle a serious medical emergency. Please inform us of any serious medical conditions that you have before you make your reservation.
Due to potential health risks, people with the following health conditions will not be able to drink sacred plant medicine in the ceremony. However, they can still partake in the ceremony without drinking and can receive the cleansing ritual from the shaman.
- high blood pressure
- schizophrenic disorder
- heart disease or any condition previously diagnosed indicating vulnerability to the heart
- epilepsy and other seizure related conditions
- infectious or contagious disease
- suicidal ideation
- use of MAO inhibitors or anti-psychotic medication
Mental illness: Anyone in treatment for mental illness must consult a physician regarding the advisability of using Ayahuasca and if approved must cease taking any anti-depressants or mood altering medications at least 3 weeks prior to the trip.
Drug addictions: We do not allow people who are taking drugs to partake in our events. For treating drug addictions, contact us to arrange different individual type of work. Smoking cannabis is prohibited during our events.
Sensitivity to Tobacco: Tobacco is an integral part of Amazonian shamanism and it is frequently used by the shamans during ceremony. If you have a hyper sensitivity to tobacco smoke, you should inform us before booking.
Menstruation: Please inform us if you are having your period on the day of the ceremony. It is possible to partake in the ceremony if you are menstruating.
Diet after the treatment
- For the 12 days after the ceremony, please abstain from consuming: sparkling water or soft drinks, pork, hot peppers, seafood, alcohol and drugs
- For only 7 days after ceremony, do not consume chocolate, coffee and diary
- Refrain from sexual intercourse, with our without partner, for 12 days after